Instant… Global… Permanent…
These three words describe our comments and pictures on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites. Think for a moment about the magnitude of that… instant… global… permanent. I don’t know about you, but that sends a rush of fear through my heart. So much so that I wrote a “Social Media Policy” for our staff at Crosspoint Church. Because it translates well on a personal level, too, I thought I’d share it with you.
- Keep it clean. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 says, “Abstain from all appearance of evil.”
- Keep it nice. Respect people. Don’t engage in negative dialog or word wars.
- Keep it private. Don’t vent personal frustrations.
- Keep it neutral. Refrain from political opinions. We don’t want to alienate people we are trying to reach.
- Keep it short. Proverbs 10:19 says, “In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise.”
- Keep it smart. Think before you post. You can’t take it back. Ask, “Is it helpful? Is it needed?”
- Keep it fun. It’s ok to have fun and reveal your personality!
You can find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/beckyselbyalexander. If you decide to send me a friend request, I promise I’ll try to behave.