Shot Out of the Sky

Those of us who were BORN TO FLY occasionally get shot out of the sky. We’re soaring along with pure motives and no agenda. We’re working hard and giving our very best. We’re loving what we’re doing because it’s our passion and our gifting. Then suddenly, from out of nowhere, we’re hit. We’re falling. We’re crashing to the ground.

When we regain the breath that was knocked out of us, we try to reorganize our scattered thoughts. We assess our injuries; they are critical. What do we do now? Laying on the ground isn’t an option. We must fly again. But how will we ever navigate the great ascent from the ground to the sky?

From an experienced flyer and crasher, here are some suggestions.

1. Remove yourself from the source of the hit. I moved four hundred miles away.
  2. Rest, physically and mentally. I let myself take naps. Imagine that!
  3. Heal, physically and mentally. I developed a real physical issue from a non-physical hit. When I removed myself from the source of the hit, my physical issue healed.
  4. Ask God to restore whatever you lost in the crash. The biggest thing I lost was my passion for life. Life was no fun without passion!
  5. Seek counsel and inspiration from wise people. I DVR’d T.D. Jakes and I asked moviepastor.com lots of questions.
  6. Immerse yourself in family and friends who love you. There’s a song that says, “You find out who your friends are.” That proved to be a true statement.
  7. Keep going through the motions. I was only off from work one week. I don’t think anyone knew I was hurting except those closest to me.
  8. Plan a big adventure. I had always wanted to go to New England so… I went twice!
  9. Explore a new niche. After twenty years as a Children’s Pastor, it was refreshing and energizing to do something new.
  10. Reset your goals. After the hit, none of my goals applied anymore. I trashed them and started over.

It will take time. Weeks, months, maybe even years. But we will fly again. And getting shot out of the sky will only make us soar higher. After all, we were BORN TO FLY!

Where are you in the process?

• Soaring
  • Crashing
  • Ascending again
  • Soaring higher

Advertisements

85 thoughts on “Shot Out of the Sky

1. Crystal says:

Right now I’m struggling to remove myself from the source of the hit. I feel so trapped where I am. I am so tired of crying my eyes out. I love my mom, but she’s the source of my hit. My faith isn’t what it used to be. I stay stressed out and I’m only 24 years old. I’m so tired.

2. DIVA says:

This was great and I must share with others. Thanks so very much! I’m definately ascending, Thank you Jesus! Can’t wait to soar again to new heights, well on my way, thanks to those who showed their true love for me during my storm and coming out, my Christian family and ride-or-die friends, I love them!

3. Kyla says:

I’ve been shot out of the sky more than once this year and I just realised that I’m a little more worn out than I thought. When I tried to answer your questionnaire I also realised that my answers is not ‘normal’ for me. I guess I need to get my strenght back to get back in the air. I will fly again.

4. kaizer says:

Inspirational indeed Becky! the greatest gift God has given us is the wisdom to value the lessons we learn 4rm our mistakes. I hate failure with a passion but i cherish the scars. They are like war wounds.

5. Elsie Khumbula says:

WOW i dnt knw….. wht to say i mean, i dnt knw where i am some times am crashing, i try to remove ma self from the source bt hey its not easy, i keep going back nommater how i try, its like am addicted to him or something but he keeps hurting and breaking ma heart, am in a flood of tears as am writtng this ….and am tired of cryng the same type of tears everytym …..i need help ASAP but i dont need it, i dont knw if you get what am saying i mean i knw i need help but yet i dont want to leave him…..plizzzz mayb u can help me. Ma heart has been torn apart shurttered but i still love him with these broken promises……maybe u are the breakthrough ive been waiting 4.

• Elsie–I am so sorry you are hurting. God wants you to be happy. There is someone for you who will love you and treasure you. Be strong and value yourself like God values you. I am praying for you NOW.

6. Kennie Ajen says:

Followed TD Jakes twit to this page. I fell and on my way up again. I am stronger, wiser, and more mature. Please pray for me, I will be starting IVF treatment this month to conceive. God bless!!

7. Mattavia says:

Becky, I read this and started bawling! One thing that I have learned about getting shot out of the sky is sometimes our direct hits are not just God’s way of reaching us but also His way of reaching someone else through us. I am experiencing this right now helping the person who shot me out of the sky recover from being shot down himself.

8. Victor Hall says:

After 11 years in ministry, crashed, now ascennding again and preparing to soar higher! On a different course but loving the new direction God is taking me! Thanks for this!

9. I crashed hard about 4 years ago. It took me over 3 years to begin my ascent, but I am finally flying higher than ever before. My relationship with God has not been this good for many years. The crash was worth it, and is what God used to bring me to where I am today. Good post! Keep it up and God bless you!

10. Ursula Fentress says:

This took me about 2 minutes to read, but will stay with me for a long time!! I believe I am at the “Ascending Again” stage and boy is it hard to try to mend broken wings, but that’s why I am now turning it over to God and asking Him to restore! Thank you for these wonderful words of wisdom! God Bless you:)

11. marcus says:

Becky,

This is first I have heard of you, but you are on point. I am ascending and I plan to fly higher than before. Thank you for this God inspired I can feel of through this phone. Thanks again and keep them coming you have blessed me.
    God bless.

12. Cyndi says:

Wonderful blog, very thought provoking and inspiring. I believe I am in the process of crashing and looking to ascend. I’m going to print this and keep it with me…and I will be following your blog! Thank you so much for sharing 🙂

13. Wilson from Nigeria says:

Bishop TD Jakes twitted about you blog and I followed the link here. Great words of inspirations for living. I think I will share this piece on facebook,by sure I will refrence your blog as the source.

14. vernice says:

What a wonderful and on time message… I got up this morning and ask God to direct my path… it appears that I have crashed so many times… I’m at a stand still.. Not realizing what my next move should be… I will take the steps you provided…

15. Nataisha Ramirez says:

I crashed and I am now ascending again. I am learning to reposition myself. Trading my old shoes for new ones. Ty for sharing.

16. Lisa says:

I crashed over 3 years ago and landed in a pit of depression. God rescued me and now I am soaring! For the first time in my life I am soaring! I think I need an adventure experience right about now. Thank you so much for this!

Blessings L

17. Anne says:

Becky, I LOVE this post! I’m somewhere between ascending & soaring higher. I really love the part about trashing the old list & making new goals. Fissin to do that now!

18. George Moore says:

Thanks Becky always a treat to hear what the Lord is speaking through you,thank God for kingdom mindset people like you.

19. Heather says:

Where am I? I’m at the “ascending again” stage. You are so right. Sometimes you have to crash before you can start again and this time soar higher than before. Hope all is well, Becky. ❤

20. lISA COMPTON says:

LOVING IT! i CRASHED, NO VACATION IN 9 YRS! READY FOR ANYTHING/ LOVE YOUR BLOGS BECKY! KEEP LOOKING AT GOD! WHE WE CAN I NEED TO TALK SHARE VENT, PRAY!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s