1. The University of AL football team won the National Championship for the third time in four years on January 7, 2013. As it is fun to be a fan of a winning team, I have become one. Tim and I went to our first game at the 100,000-seat Bryant-Denny Stadium in September. What a crazy wonderful experience. Roll Tide!
2. I attended the “Called to Write” Conference in Pittsburg, Kansas in April. I chose this conference because I had never been to Kansas. But what a great choice it was. I learned a ton, won first place in the devotional writing contest, and met an amazing editor who is going to publish my next book, 35-Cent Jeans.
3. Aloha! Tim and I cruised the Hawaiian Islands with friends Melissa and Alton in June. We walked on Waikiki Beach, toured Pearl Harbor, ate Hula Pie, drove the nerve-shattering Road to Hana, enjoyed coconut macadamia nut ice-cream, and found Opaekaa Falls from Fantasy Island and Moloaa Bay from Gilligan’s Island.
4. One Smile, One Arm was published on June 28, 2013! I had no idea how to publish a book—I just dove in. I found a publisher. I pushed through the submission phase, the editorial phase, the cover design phase, and the book interior design phase. 2013 was a year of learning and I loved every minute of it.
5. I officially became an empty nester. Curiously, both of my kids moved out the same week. Cassie and husband Chris moved into their new home and Isaac moved into his apartment at the University of N. AL. I’m calling this my Tropical Stage of Life. Read here: http://beckyalexander.tv/the-tropical-stage-of-life/
6. A wedding on the beach… What an honor to get to officiate the renewal of wedding vows for my brother-in-law and sister-in-law on beautiful Grayton Beach in Florida this summer. Isaac tagged along and we had a fun mom-son road trip.
7. If you haven’t been to the tiny town of Mentone, Alabama, you really need to go. Visit in October when the Appalachian Mountains have turned red, orange, and gold. Reserve a cabin at Ritz on the Rocks, find a treasure at the Gourdie Shop, and eat raspberry crepes at the Wildflower Café.
8. Just call me Becky Alexander, CITM. That stands for Certified International Tour Manager. I took an intensive course in Denver in December to earn my certification and finished first in the class. Who wants to see the world with me?
10. 2013 allowed me to knock three more states off of my list—Kansas, Oklahoma, and Hawaii. 39 states down, 11 to go!
As 2013 ends, I am reminded that life is a gracious gift. Please take a few minutes to reflect on your own “10 Great Things That Happened in 2013.” Happy New Year!
“… the gracious gift of life…” (1 Peter 3:7 NIV).